Monday, February 24, 2014

From Crappy to Snappy

This week in Visual Design, our assignment was to take a mediocre design and create a new one. I chose to redesign the logo for Brevard Archers, a local archery group whose competitions I frequent. Their current logo is shown below:
It's not terrible, but there are a few problems that I have with it. For one, the eye on the deer looks unnaturally large and cartoony, in contrast too its overly intricate antlers. The target is obscured by these antlers, and it personally took me a while to recognize that the circle and the u-shape were meant to resemble a target. I hoped to fix these issues with a new design:
The new design still has the deer, however it has simplified and the eye removed. I decided to get rid of the target all together and instead have crossing arrows to represent archery. Instead of using the full group name, I went with the initials to emphasize the simplicity of the new logo.

No comments:

Post a Comment